Cooking a toaster oven isn’t really one kind of cooking. In all honesty, if you can think of it, you can use a toaster oven to do it. That’s one of the real strengths of the device – you can cook pretty much anything and get excellent results.
This means that snacks, full meals, and reheating are all possible when you know how to use a toaster oven. This is all thanks to some intelligently designed and easy to use settings on your toaster oven that make a variety of dishes simple.
If you want to learn how to cook with a toaster oven, read on. I’ve put together this guide on how to cook a range of food without having to switch appliances. This makes the toaster oven one of the best devices for people working on a budget or struggling for space in their kitchen – it can just do some much!
Table of contents
- Toaster Oven Breakfast Recipes
- Toaster Oven Dinner Recipes
- Toaster Oven Dessert Recipes
- Kid-friendly Toaster Oven Recipes
- Toaster Oven Safe Bakeware
Toaster Oven Breakfast Recipes
Let’s start with the most important meal of the day. You can easily make a range of breakfast foods with a toaster oven, especially if you are a particular fan of toast and toasted goods.
Making Toast In A Toaster Oven
- Set your toaster oven to the toasting set.
- Turn the temperature dial or key into the temperature keypad 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow your toaster oven to preheat. Some toaster ovens may need as much as 15 minutes to preheat, but most mid-range toasters need no longer than 10 minutes.
- Place your bread on the grill in your toaster oven.
- Allow between 5 and 10 minutes for the toaster to cook. If you have a weaker toaster oven (that is to say that it has a lower wattage rating), you may need to leave it in for a full 10 minutes.
- Take your toast out and you will have a delicious toasted snack ready for you or your family.
If toast isn’t really your thing, you can also fry eggs in your toast oven.
Fried Eggs In A Toaster Oven
- Set your toaster to the broiling setting. You only want to use the top elements in order to get the best cook for your egg.
- Set your toaster oven’s temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow your toaster oven to preheat. This can take as long as 15 minutes with some weaker appliances.
- Crack some eggs onto a baking tray. You may want to apply oil to the tray if you do not have a non-stick tray.
- Place your eggs into the toaster oven and let them cook.
- After 5 minutes, check on your eggs. If you have a weaker toaster oven, you may want to pop them back in to cook a little longer.
These are only two suggestions, but cooking breakfast foods of any kind is very easy with a toaster oven. You can grill bacon or sausages or even cook oatmeal in the toaster oven too. Taking your time to experiment with your toaster oven could mean that you could be making entire breakfast banquets with just a toaster oven.
But we don’t just want to make breakfast. Making dinner for your whole family is also possible with your toaster oven.
Toaster Oven Dinner Recipes
I like to roast with my toaster oven. It is slow maintenance so you can simply set the appliance and then go about your day. I’ve had particular success with roasting chickens, something that people are always surprised about when I tell them.
If you want to roast a chicken in your toaster oven, follow my instructions below.
Roasting A Chicken In A Toaster Oven
- Set your toaster oven to the toasting set. We want to make sure the chicken is cooked on all sides.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will give you a slightly slower cook, but you will still get crispy skin.
- Allow the toaster oven to preheat. This can take between 10 and 15 minutes, with lower times for more powerful appliances.
- When the toaster oven is heated, place your chicken on a roasting dish.
- Leave for the appropriate amount of time (this depends on your chicken – as a rule of thumb, you want an hour with an additional half hour for every pound that the bird weighs).
- When your chicken is almost done, set your toaster oven to the broiling setting and turn the temperature up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This will give your chicken a bit more crisp.
- Take your chicken out when it is fully cooked and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
Now you have a fully cooked chicken which you can serve to your family. It’s easy and doesn’t require as much power as a regular oven
Toaster Oven Dessert Recipes
For desserts, my favorites are soft in the middle cookies. Here’s my recipe.
Baking Cookies In A Toaster Oven
- Set your toaster oven to the baking setting.
- Set the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you prefer crunchier cookies, you should turn the temperature up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow your toaster oven to preheat.
- Place your cookie dough onto a baking tray. Make sure that you are using a toaster oven friendly piece of bakeware. You don’t want to crack a dish and risk damaging the elements.
- Leave your cookies for between 5 and 10 minutes. This again depends on the strength of your appliance.
- When cooked, take your cookies out.
And that’s how you can make easy cookies without needing to do anything more than turning your toaster oven on.
Kid-friendly Toaster Oven Recipes
One of the best things about using a toaster oven is that they’re easy. One of the best parts about their ease is that kids can use them. Obviously, they’re still very hot pieces of cooking equipment, so adult supervision is still necessary. But you can use your toaster oven to introduce cooking, roasting, and baking to your kids.
I find that cooking toast, baking cakes, and learning to grill small pieces of meat has really helped my son to start his own love of cooking. By using the toaster oven together, we have been able to make a whole range of dishes (including a roast chicken dinner for mum!).
Using your toaster oven is as easy as anything, especially now that you have a couple of easy recipes. No longer do you need to worry about which are the best toaster oven snacks or asking “can you cook meat in a toaster oven?” – you know everything you need to in order to get started.
Regardless of whether you need toaster oven recipes for one person or two people, you can get the most out of using a toaster oven to push out fantastic dishes. Even better is when you can start making healthy toaster oven dishes as well as getting the kids involved to start their own love of food.